Smart Film Installation -Overview-
Smart Film can be installed as a DIY project without installers. No special equipment is required and the necessary tools can be purchased from any home hardware store.
Smart Film Installation Manual
Smart Privacy Film is Easy to Install
Installation is one of the most commonly misunderstood aspects of our Smart Film product. Many people think that it is difficult to install themselves or that it requires special training or equipment. Others prefer to have an installer do the installation for them, but find that it is difficult to find an installer who is experienced with switchable film products.
The truth is that Smart Privacy Film has been designed to be installed as a do-it-yourself project and it is easy to install, but does require those performing the installation to follow the instructions closely and not rush through the process.
Important Factors For a Smooth Installation
A Clean Working Environment
- The working environment needs to be as clean and dust-free as possible prior to beginning installation. If there is dust in the area or along the surfaces near the glass it can easily contaminate the Smart Film as it is being applied. For those who are applying the Smart Film during a renovation or construction project this is particularly important, as there is often debris in the air.
- If there is dust or debris in the air or you just want to take an extra precaution you can spray water mist into the air an hour or so prior to beginning the installation. This will help remove particulate matter from the air.
Handling Smart Film Carefully
- Never bend, fold or curve Smart Film. Always keep the film flat and straight.
- Do not remove the protective liner (cling side) until you are ready to install the Smart Film. Doing so gives the film more exposure to any dust and debris in the air that may get stuck to it. It also makes the switchable film difficult to handle and install.
- The protective liner on the adhesive side should only be peeled away after the Smart FIlm has been applied to the glass and all air bubbles have been pressed away with a squeegee.
- Always be careful with the edges of the film to avoid delamination.
- When installing large pieces of Smart Privacy Film it is important to have two or more people performing the install in order to avoid any strain or back injuries.
- Ensure the working environment is well lit. It is best to install the Smart FIlm in natural light or under bright, even lighting conditions. This helps you ensure that the glass and working environment is clean and see what you are doing as you work.
- Some window films are installed with water. Smart Privacy Film is not one of those products.
- We usually recommend an installation tolerance of ⅛ of an inch (2-3 mm) off of the measurements of the exposed visible area of the glass. This makes for a smoother installation as it is difficult to install the film perfectly aligned to the very last millimetre. The installation tolerance also compensates for any unevenness along the edges of the window frame and reduces the chances that the Smart Film will need to be trimmed on site.
Installing Smart Film On Your Own
Smart Film can be installed as a DIY project without installers. We recommend having at least one other person install the Smart Film alongside you for the best outcome possible. No special equipment is required and the necessary tools can be purchased from any home hardware store.
For the best outcome possible, read your installation manual carefully prior to beginning the installation and go slowly.
Send a Message
Ask about out products, pricing, implementation, or any thing else. Our advisors are here to help you chart a course to success.