Is Smart Glass Expensive?
Like any luxury product, smart glass is more expensive than ordinary glass. However, switchable glass and film provide much more value and truly push the limits of what glass can do. Read this article now to find out the cost of smart glass and film and whether its righ
When people visit our website or give us a call the information they are looking for is usually pricing. Anyone can see that smart glass is an innovative product with lots of applications, but how much does it cost? Is smart glass expensive?
The answer is both yes and no. Allow us to explain.
There are two ways to get switchable glass.
We offer two main products: smart glass and smart film. Smart glass contains the switchable PDLC layer sandwiched between two pieces of laminated and tempered safety glass and can be installed by any glazier. Smart film is applied to the surface of existing glass to transform it into switchable glass, making it the perfect retrofit option. Smart film can be installed by any window tint professional and in some cases even as a DIY project. Both products go from clear to frosted when powered on and off, providing privacy on demand.
Cost of Installing Smart Glass Vs. Smart Film
Smart glass costs more than smart film because it includes the glass and involves a lamination and cutting process. However, when installation is factored in it is not always the less expensive option. For example, if a new home is being built and glass will need to be ordered and installed anyways then ordering smart glass would not incur any additional costs other than the cost of product. If one were to order new glass and have it installed and then order smart film and have it installed it could incur an additional installation cost.
Please contact us to consult with one of our knowledgable product advisors to determine which product is right for your project and budget. Smart Glass Country has a wide network of film installers and glaziers that we can recommend to install our switchable glass products. We usually do not perform installation ourselves. While some companies do offer installation services with their smart glass orders these options typically cost more than buying the product and finding a local installer who does not have to travel long distances to install the film or glass. This allows our customers to find installers who are within their budget and who are available on the dates they prefer to do the installation in order to avoid waits and delays.
The Cost of Smart Glass
Our switchable glass costs anywhere from $100-150 USD per square foot, depending on the size of the order, with the average price falling around $130 USD per square foot. Our pricing can even go as low as $85 USD per square foot for very large projects.
The Cost of Smart Film
Our privacy window film typically costs between $25-45 USD per square foot, making it the more economical option, especially in cases where the glass is already installed.
Understanding the Value of Smart Glass & Film
While smart glass does cost more than ordinary glass, it also provides way more value:
- Smart glass and film come with built-in privacy, eliminating the need to purchase blinds or curtains.
- Privacy glass and film still allow about two thirds of the natural light through when switched to frosted, allowing occupants to enjoy natural light and privacy simultaneously. This also reduces the need for artificial light and decreases energy bills.
- Smart glass has built-in soundproofing properties due to its construction, a property that normally would cost an additional $100 per square foot.
- Smart glass is laminated and tempered safety glass, enhancing security by acting as a barrier against forced entry.
- Smart glass and film hold the glass together in the event of breakage, protecting occupants from shards of glass.
- When switched to frosted, smart glass can double as a rear projection screen and even be used as a whiteboard, making it a popular option for offices and classrooms.
- Smart glass is cleaned just like regular glass, making it a low maintenance and hygienic option for clinics and hospitals.
- Smart glass and film will never go out of style. Smart glass and film look just like regular glass whether they’re switched to clear or frosted. This makes them a contemporary and minimalist option that won’t look dated in 5-10 years.
Send a Message
Ask about out products, pricing, implementation, or any thing else. Our advisors are here to help you chart a course to success.